Monday, December 21, 2009

all the way back then

I really think it has a lot to do with the area. I mean, what else do you have to do when you're surrounded by those damn apple orchards besides think? You walked into my life as a five year-old; at that point you had no significance. I don't think it's ironic that you were the first friend I ever made. Even though it took me eleven years to realize it, I think I understand why you're supposed to be in my life. I mean, people aren't in your life for no reason, right?

Today wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Typical nineteen degree, freezing day that finds it's way through my pea coat and deep into my skin despite the layers upon layers. For some reason, the walk that usually seems to last forever in what feels like sub-zero temperatures goes by quickly. You followed me up the steps of the freezing bus and we look at each other and laugh because we know there will be an interesting conversation to follow. I sat down and slid over hesitantly because I know how cold the seat is going to be. "Does he not know how to turn on the heat?" Our conversations usually start the same way, something about the end of the day or our mutual friends. But eventually we bring the conversation back to our future, specifically college and our potential post high school graduation. We both think we're abnormally mature and ready to reinvent ourselves. We've realized that high school is petty and that finding a true friend is a rarity. Reputations no longer matter; we're here to be who we want to be. You listen to what I have to say like no one else does. When I'm talking to you, I say what I think and what I mean, things other people wouldn't even being to understand.

It keeps coming back to the concept of reinvention. No one has any of these preconceived notions about who we are or who we're supposed to be. It's an opportunity to start all over which to both of us is impossible to let go. You're just as terrified of the real world as me, but we're both so eager to throw ourselves into this whirlwind.

I'm really happy that you walked into my life eleven years ago and that your still here. I hope we never lose touch and that you remain in my life forever because your honesty and innocence is one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers